POSITION PURPOSE / IMPORTANT APPLICATION INFORMATION
The Dance Director position is responsible for teaching a variety of dances including Pre-Dance, Ballet, Tap, Jazz/Hip Hop and Lyrical to participants of various ages, maintaining a fun and safe environment at all times. This position requires supervision of eight staff members and planning, organizing and implementing two annual dance recitals. Recreation staff have the primary responsibility of ensuring the safety of program participants.
The full salary range for this position is stated above. The starting range of pay is dependent on qualifications and experience of each individual candidate.
ORGANIZATIONAL COMPETENCIES AND CULTURAL VALUES/GENERAL COMPETENCIES
of every employee at the City of Westminster is to deliver exceptional value and quality of life through SPIRIT.Each employee is measured by the ability to adhere to the City's core values of Service, Pride, Integrity, Responsibility, Innovation, and Teamwork.
This position supports the goals of the Parks, Recreation and Libraries Department, which enhances the quality of life for all Westminster citizens by providing diverse leisure, recreational, and informational services and resources; and acquiring, developing, and maintaining first-class parks, facilities, open space, and trails. This position works toward the accomplishment of the department's mission: Together we create exceptional opportunities for a vibrant community with a commitment to nature, wellness and literacy.
- Every employee in this position must be able to:
• Understand and demonstrate dance skills in the areas of ballet, jazz, jazz hip-hop, tap and pom, lyrical and jumps and turns
• Understand and carry out oral and written instructions
• Relate and interact well with dance participants ages 2-19 years
• Help plan, organize and implement activities
• Provide proper authority to children
• Establish effective working relationships with participants, parents, and coworkers
• Mix music for recitals
• Supervise eight staff members ages 16 and older
• Plan, organize and implement two dance recitals annually
All employees are expected to provide excellent customer service, communicate in an effective manner both verbally and in writing, display professionalism and integrity, work efficiently, effectively and accurately, work independently and as part of a team, take initiative, solve problems, display good judgment, take ownership for delivering a high quality product or service, have regular and punctual attendance, and effectively handle emergency situations.
JOB SPECIFIC FUNCTIONS
Essential Job Functions, Duties, Responsibilities, and Tasks
1. Plans and implements ballet, jazz, jazz hip-hop, tap and pom, lyrical and jumps and turns recreation classes
2. Organizes two (2) dance performances each year
3. Supervises Dance Instructors
4. Provides proper instruction of group fitness classes, including monitoring heart rates
5. Implements proper warm-up and cool-down exercises and strength and endurance-building activities
6. Provides social interaction within classes and a safe environment for all participants
7. Maintains regular and punctual attendance
Other Duties and Responsibilities
1. Tracks attendance and instructor hours for all courses
2. Attends staff meetings
Incumbent is accountable for all duties of this job, and other projects and responsibilities may be added at the City's discretion.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS/WORKING CONDITIONS/PRE-EMPLOYMENT REQUIREMENTS
Education, Experience, Skills, Formal Training, Licenses, and Certifications
• Must be at least 21 years of age
• Bachelor's degree in dance or related field
• At least five (5) years of experience in dance instruction
• CPR/First Aid certification by the first day of employment
• Knowledge of mixing music for recitals
• Knowledge of competitive dance teams
• Experience teaching dance classes in an organized setting
• Supervisory experience
Any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience, which would provide the required knowledge and skills, may be considered.
This position requires a moderate degree of physical stamina and strength, including the ability to:
• Frequently sit, stand and walk through a multi-level facility
• Occasionally squat, bend, kneel, twist, climb, balance and reach over head
• Occasionally lift, carry, push or pull items weighing up to fifty (50) pounds
• Frequently use hands and fingers for fine manipulation; occasionally use light and firm grasp
• Frequently see objects up close to perform office tasks and far away to observe activity for safety hazards or problems
• Constantly use hearing to interact with guests and staff and recognize trouble outside of view
• Occasionally use sufficient physical strength, stamina and agility to perform emergency work in various capacities
Work mainly performed indoors unless the activity is required to perform outdoors.This is a high activity.Must demonstrate the ability to meet the physical demands of the job, including the ability to demonstrate the skills needed for the activity.Exposure to periods of high activity and stress under demanding conditions.The position requires a great deal of communication with City employees, the public, and outside agencies.
Required Materials and Equipment
Recreation and sports equipment, CD player and iPod.
Candidates must be legally entitled to work in the United States and must successfully pass a criminal background check, reference check, and substance screen. There may be additional pre-employment requirements depending on the nature of the position.
We are a caring, courteous, team-oriented organization committed to public service excellence.Employees thrive in a culture that is respectful, professional and diverse.Our work culture encourages passionate, positive and enthusiastic employees.Westminster is a drug-free workplace and an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Closing Date/Time: 8/13/2018 8:30 AM Mountain
**MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***.
This listing is managed by:
About City of **MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***.
Welcome to employment with the City of **MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***.!
The City of **MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***., is a drug free workplace and an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity and aims to have its workforce reflect the community. The City of Westminster offers a bonus of up to $1,500 per year depending on the employee's level of fluency in Spanish, Hmong, and/or Laotian.
The mission of the City of Westminster is to deliver exceptional value and quality of life through SPIRIT. Our values are articulated through this acronym, which stands for “Service, Pride, Integrity, Responsibility, Innovation and Teamwork.” The City of Westminster is a full-service city employing over 1,600 talented individuals in a variety of jobs. Our employees are committed to delivering the highest quality of service to the local community in areas of:
Fire, Medical and Emergency Management
Parks, Golf and Recreation
Community Development, including City Planning and Engineering
Plus internal services including: Human Resources, City Management, City Attorney’s Office, Finance, Building Operations and Maintenance, and Fleet
You are welcome to apply online
for any open City of Westminster position. Click on the appropriate job title for a detailed job announcement. Please note, that unless otherwise indicated, jobs close at 8:30 a.m. on the posted closing date. Applications can take from 20 to 30 minutes to complete, so please allow plenty of time for completion. Applications submitted after the job closing deadline cannot be accepted.
Current City of Westminster employees may be eligible to apply for internal jobs
when they are available.
Business hours for City Hall, Municipal Court and several administrative offices are from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Thursday - closed on Fridays. However, working schedule will vary depending on the needs of the operation.