SUPERVISORY NATURAL RESOURCES SPECIALIST / PHYSICAL SCIENTIST (MP)
Bureau of Land Management
This is a not-to-exceed 12 month detail/temporary promotion assignment. At the expiration of this assignment, or whenever your services are no longer needed, you may be returned to your position and agency of record. Temporary Promotions may be extended up to a maximum of 4
years without further competition.
Learn more about this agency
* Responsible for planning, organizing, and supervising technical and administrative activities including assigning and reviewing work, evaluating work performance of subordinates, hearing and resolving complaints, etc.
* Demonstrate technical expertise as a professional natural resource
scientist who administers programs related to lands management.
* Prepare and/or review short and long range management plans, oversee development of investigation plans; directs the correlation and integration of resource management plans into overall land management and other planning efforts.
* Liaison with BLM state and field offices and other Federal and state agencies, boroughs, native villages and corporations, and public entities on matters concerning planning, permitting, lands, and environment and planning activities.
* For more information on the responsibilities of this position ****.
### Travel Required
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
##### Supervisory status
##### Promotion Potential
* #### Job family (Series)
0401 General Natural Resources Management And Biological Sciences
1301 General Physical Science
### Conditions of Employment
* U.S. Citizenship is required.
Investigation is required.
* You cannot hold an active real estate license: nor can you have an interest or hold stocks in firms with interest in Federal Lands.
* Direct Deposit Required.
**To qualify for the GS-0401 Series**, you must meet one of the following: 1) Have a Bachelor`s degree in biological sciences, agriculture, natural resource management, chemistry, or related disciplines appropriate to the position; OR 2) Have a combination of education and experience--courses equivalent to a major as described above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
**To qualify for the GS-1301 Series**, you must meet one of the following: 1) Have a Bachelor's degree in physical science, engineering, or mathematics that included 24 semester hours in physical science and/or related engineering science such as mechanics, dynamics, properties of materials, and electronics; OR 2) Have a combination of education and experience - education equivalent to one of the majors shown above that included at least 24 semester hours in physical science and/or related engineering science, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
**SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE:** We must be able to determine that you meet the specialized experience requirement - please be sure to include this information in your resume. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g. Peach Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g. professional; philanthropic, religious, spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. To be creditable, this experience must have been for 1 year and equivalent in difficulty and complexity to the next lower grade of the position to be filled.
**To be qualified as a GS-13,** you must also have at least 1 year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-12 in the Federal Service. Specialized experience is that which has equipped me with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position, and that is typically in or related to the work of the position to be filled. Examples of specialized experience include: experience providing a full range of management, coordination, and direction to a multi-disciplinary permitting and monitoring team that oversees an oil and gas transportation system; this includes construction, operation, maintenance and termination of oil and gas transportation systems in subarctic and arctic environments and close coordination with other State and Federal Agencies with pipeline oversight jurisdiction.
**TIME-IN-GRADE REQUIREMENT:** If you are a current Federal employee in the General (GS) pay plan and applying for a promotion opportunity, you must have completed a minimum of 52 weeks at the next lower grade level in the normal line of progression for the position being filled.
### Additional information
* SELECTIVE SERVICE: Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must certify that they have registered with the Selective Service System, or are exempt from having to do so under the Selective Service Law. To register or verify your registration go to the Selective Service System at
***** The Bureau of Land Management has determined that the duties of this position are suitable for telework and the selectee may be allowed to telework with supervisor approval.
* We may use this announcement to fill additional vacancies within 90 days of 08/16/2018.
* Travel and relocation expenses will not be paid by the Department of the Interior. Any travel, transportation, and relocation expenses associated with reporting for duty in this position will be the responsibility of the selected employee.
* **Career Transition Assistance (CTAP)/Interagency Career Transition Assistance Programs (ICTAP)**: CTAP provides eligible surplus and displaced Federal competitive service employees with selection priority over other candidates for competitive service vacancies. Information about CTAP/ICTAP eligibility is available from OPM's Career Transition Resources website at CTAP/ICTAP. If your agency has notified you in writing that you are a surplus or displaced employee eligible for CTAP consideration or that you are a displaced employee eligible for ICTAP consideration, you may receive selection priority if: 1) This vacancy is within your CTAP/ICTAP eligibility; 2) You apply under the instructions in this announcement; and 3) You are found well qualified for this vacancy. You must provide proof of eligiblity with your application to receive selection priority. Such proof may include a copy of your written notification of CTAP/ICTAP eligibility, or a copy of your separation personnel action form. CTAP and ICTAP eligibles will be considered well qualified if they fall within the Well or Best Qualified categories on the rating criteria for this position.
* Reemployment Priority List (RPL): The RPL is the mechanism agencies use to give reemployment consideration to their former competitive service employees separated by a RIF or who fully recovered from a compensable injury after more than one year. If you are currently on a RPL, you may be given priority consideration.
* BLM may use certain incentives, currently offered by the Federal government, to attract high quality applicants.
* If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document, you do not have in electronic form; view the following link for information regarding an Alternative Application.
### How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Upon receipt of your complete application package, a review of your application will be made to ensure you meet the basic qualification requirements. Your rating will be based on your responses to the Job Specific Questionnaire and the information stated in your resume. Answers submitted in the questionnaire must be supported on your resume. If qualified, your score may range from 70-100 points. In addition, interviews may be conducted for this position. The interviews may be conducted on a pass/fail basis or may be scored. The job specific questions relate to the following knowledge, skills and abilities required to do the work of the position:
* Ability to supervise, train, and manage an interdisciplinary staff with a wide range of skills, experience and responsibility and of varied cultural backgrounds.
* Knowledge of applied science and scientific methods, in combination with familiarity of the legislature, regulations, and policies.
* Ability to plan, budget and execute projects and programs.
* Knowledge of a wide range of renewable and non-renewable resource principles.
### Background checks and security clearance
##### Security clearance
Q - Sensitive
##### Drug test required
* Required Documents
## Required Documents
To apply for this position, you must submit a complete Application Package which includes:
1. **Resume or Application.** At a minimum, **your resume MUST contain** job title (include job series and grade, if federal), duties, starting and ending dates (month and year), hours worked per week, and salary. USAJOBS has a template to ensure a complete resume.
****2. Other **supporting documents:**
* Copy of Transcripts (official or unofficial) or a list of college courses that include hours and grades from an accredited
If your degree is from a Foreign Institution, See Foreign Education,
* Submit a copy of your most recent (non award) SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action, or equivalent document that verifies tenure (block 24, code 1 or 2) and Competitive Status (Block 34, code 1).
Hard copy application materials, submitted without prior Human Resource approval, will be considered as an incomplete application. If the required documents are not submitted, your application may be considered incomplete.
#### If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
* How to Apply
## How to Apply
1. **Review the Appointment Eligibility Criteria:**The eligibility section of the application process is designed to allow you to choose how
you wish to be considered for this vacancy announcement. You will **ONLY** be considered for the appointment eligibilities that you
selected. You must provide proof of your eligibility to be considered.
2. Y**ou must submit a resume**and also complete the online application and assessment questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section.
**DEADLINE DATE:** A complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) or 7:59 pm Alaska Time on 08/16/2018 to receive consideration.
* To begin, click **Apply**to access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one before beginning the application.
* Follow the prompts to **select your resume and/or other supporting documents**to be included with your application package. You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is submitted. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
* After acknowledging you have reviewed your application package, complete the Include Personal Information section as you deem appropriate and **click to continue with the application process**.
* You will be taken to the online application which you must complete in order to apply for the position. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation is included with your application package, and submit the application.
* The eligibility portion of the application process is designed to allow you to choose how you wish to be considered for this announcement. You may choose more than one eligibility. You must provide proof of your eligibility and will only be considered for the questions that you answer yes.
* Please note, your eligibility will be based solely on the selections you have indicated in this section. You must provide the supporting documentation to support your claim to be considered. You may choose more than one eligibility in this section.
* To view the assessment questionnaire, click here:
****To verify the status of your application, log into your USAJOBS account
(****all of your applications will appear on the Welcome screen. The Application Status will appear along with the date your application was last updated. For information on what each Application Status means, visit:
### Agency ****
222 West 7th Avenue
Anchorage, AK 99513
Learn more about this agency
### Next steps
You will be notified of your status of your application as the qualification review process is conducted.
You may also check the status of your application by viewing your MY USAJOBs account.
* Fair & Transparent
## Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
### Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
* Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & job applicants
### Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
* An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
* An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
* An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
#### Legal and regulatory guidance
* Financial suitability
* Social security number request
* Privacy Act
* Signature and false statements
* Selective Service
* New employee probationary period
This job originated on ****For the full announcement and to apply, visit
****Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at ****will be considered.
*Open & closing dates:* 08/02/2018 to 08/16/2018
*Pay scale & grade:* GS 13
*Salary:* $96,819 to $125,865 per year Includes base pay and locality pay, you will also receive a 3.74% cost of living allowance, subject to annual review, adjustment and gradual decrease.
*Appointment type:* Temporary Promotion - 12 Months
*Work schedule:* Full-Time