U.S. General Services Administration.
$126,148.00 to $181,220.00
Open & closing dates
Opening and closing dates
$126,148 to $181,220 per year
Pay scale & grade
1 vacancy in the following location:
New York, NY
New York, NY
Relocation expenses reimbursed
TRAVEL AND RELOCATION EXPENSES: Travel, transportation, and relocation expenses and/or a relocation/recruitment incentive may be authorized for this position and may be paid by the General Services Administration as allowed by regulation. A one-year service agreement is required if relocation expenses are paid.
This job is open to
U.S. citizens, nationals or those who owe allegiance to the U.S.
Senior executives - SES only
Those who meet the five Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs).
The General Services Administration
is interested in attracting the best talent for our diverse cadre of SES members from within GSA, the Federal government and the private sector. We have streamlined our recruitment process for this position using the resume-based hiring method which will require you to submit the following in order to apply for this position.
1. An online resume (not to exceed 5 pages, including optional cover letter). Your resume must show possession of the Executive Core Qualifications (ECQ's) listed in this announcement but must not address the ECQ’s through separate narrative responses. Your resume should also corroborate your possession of the Mandatory Technical Competencies listed in this announcement, which you must address separately in a supplemental statement as described in #2 below.
2. A supplemental statement that separately addresses each of the Mandatory Technical Competencies (MTC's) listed in this announcement (not-to-exceed 1 page for each MTC). YOUR APPLICATION WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED IF YOU FAIL TO SUBMIT THIS SUPPLEMENTAL STATEMENT.
For complete instructions on the content and format of your application package please see the Required Documents section below.
GSA’s Public Buildings Service (PBS) is the real estate arm of the Federal government and a major force for innovation in the design, construction and operation of commercial office buildings and campuses. PBS's national real estate portfolio is comprised of 376 million square feet of workspace for over one million Federal employees in 2,100 American communities. PBS owns more than 1500 assets totaling 181.6 million rentable square feet, and manages more than 7,600 leased assets totaling 194.1 million leased square feet.
As the PBS Regional Commissioner (RC) in the Northeast and Caribbean Region (Region 2), you will serve as the chief executive for PBS in the region, responsible for all aspects of real estate strategy, operations, personnel, and budget in New York, New Jersey, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
OFFICE AND LOCATION FOR THE VACANCY:
Public Buildings Service
Northeast and Caribbean Region (Region 2)
New York, NY
Learn more about this agency
The Regional Commissioner (RC) manages several hundred Federal personnel, a large annual operating, leasing and capital budget, and the operations, maintenance and construction of Federal office space, United States courthouses, land ports of entry, state-of-the-art laboratories, and warehouses within their region. The RC is accountable for positive customer experiences, successful business and policy outcomes, and fostering a culture of innovation and excellence among regional staff.
Further, the RC is responsible for the following:
Provides leadership, accountability and direction in the planning, development, implementation, and administration of critical PBS initiatives for the region, including efforts to: right-size the Federal real estate portfolio by improving office space utilization; introduce Federal tenants to modern open floor plans; and improve energy efficiency by leveraging state-of-the-art facilities management technology to make informed building management decisions.
Using a metrics-driven approach to management, the individual implements national business measures for regional programs, and sets additional specific regional goals. The RC holds the region accountable for adherence to Federal laws, regulations, and GSA policies.
Serves as the top customer relationship manager in the region, ensuring responsiveness and high quality project delivery.
Responsible for preparing and executing annual and long-term plans and budgets for PBS programs within the region, consistent with established national policies.
Directs program need and workload assessments and develops appropriate resource strategies to ensure successful program execution, making often difficult resource allocation decisions.
Ensures accountability and transparency in financial planning, decision-making and reporting, and ensures sound investment of government financial resources and integrity of the Federal acquisition process.
Accountable for maintaining an outcomes-oriented workplace, a sustainable workplace, a place people want to work, and an organization that engages and inspires its employees.
Establishes and maintains a collaborative culture in which business lines work together to exceed customer expectations, and encourage PBS employees to employ their own and the organization's collective expertise to respond to customer requirements, set expectations, and deliver a high quality and sustainable workspace.
Represents the region and the Regional Administrator as well as PBS and the PBS Commissioner with regional Federal agencies, members of Congress, members of the Federal Judiciary, local government officials, planning groups, contractors, and the general public.
Serves as the top advisor to the Regional Administrator, PBS Commissioner, and other GSA officials on all matters relating to public buildings and real property programs in the region, the RC helps to maintain positive relationships with community and business organizations, the general public, and local, state, and Federal government representatives.
Occasional travel - Occasional travel may be required.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
All qualified applicants with U.S. Citizenship.
apply online to be considered for this vacancy. Please review this announcement in its entirety for specific information on how to apply.
Questions? This job is open to 2 groups.
Job family (Series)
0340 Program Management
Conditions of Employment
Resume-based hiring method.
Resume must not exceed 5 pages, including optional cover letter.
All application materials must be received by the closing date.
Veterans preference is not applicable to the SES
Applicants must be U.S. Citizens.
Apply online (See 'How to Apply' section.)
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
This position is a critical-sensitive national security position and appointment requires that you undergo a single scope background investigation and that the GSA security office grant you a Top Secret national security clearance. Applicants do not need this level of clearance in order to apply. If you are not a GSA employee, the security office must grant the clearance before you are appointed to this position unless a pre-appointment waiver of this requirement is approved.
If tentatively selected, you will be required to submit a Declaration for Federal Employment.
Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 will be required to complete a certification document confirming their selective service status.
Persons selected for their initial appointment to an SES position must have their executive qualifications approved by the Office of Personnel Management before being appointed to the position.
If selected, you will be required to serve a one-year probationary period unless you have previously successfully completed a one-year probationary period in the Senior Executive Service.
Veteran's preference does not apply to positions in the Senior Executive Service.
If selected, you must file a Public Financial Disclosure Report (OGE Form 278) upon appointment in accordance with the Ethics in Government Act of 1978.
This position has been designated under Executive Order 12564 as being subject to random drug screening. If tentatively selected for this position, you may be required to submit to a urinalysis screen for illegal drugs prior to appointment. Appointment will be contingent upon your receiving a negative test result.
All applicants must meet the Mandatory Technical and Executive Core Qualification requirements listed below to be eligible for consideration. Eligibility will be based on a clear demonstration that the applicant's training and experience are of the scope, quality and level of responsibility sufficient to successfully perform the duties and responsibilities of this executive position.
Your resume must show possession of the Executive Core Qualifications (ECQ's) listed below but must not address the ECQ’s through separate narrative responses.
You must submit a supplemental statement that separately addresses each of the Mandatory Technical Competencies (MTC’s) listed below. Your resume should also corroborate your possession of the MTC's. Your application will not be considered if you fail to submit this supplemental statement.
Please see the Required Documents section below for complete instructions on the content and format of your application package.
MANDATORY TECHNICAL COMPETENCIES (MTC):
1. Demonstrated experience managing and leading a complex, multifaceted real property organization, through continual, metrics-based evaluation and appraisal of goals and objectives, in one or more of the following elements: asset and portfolio management and strategy; design and construction; leasing; facilities management; property disposal; and customer relations.
2. Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively with other programs and officials in providing the highest levels of customer focus and satisfaction; ability to build positive relationships with, and effectively present, defend, or negotiate major real property plans, strategies, and decisions with a broad range of executive level decision-makers, stakeholders and customers.
MANDATORY EXECUTIVE CORE QUALIFICATIONS (ECQs):
1. Leading Change - This core qualification involves the ability to bring about strategic change, both within and outside the organization, to meet organizational goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to establish an organizational vision and to implement it in a continuously changing environment.
2. Leading People - This core qualification involves the ability to lead people toward meeting the organization's vision, mission, and goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to provide an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, facilitates cooperation and teamwork, and supports constructive resolution of conflicts.
3. Results Driven - This core qualification involves the ability to meet organizational goals and customer expectations. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to make decisions that produce high-quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems, and calculating risks.
4. Business Acumen - This core qualification involves the ability to manage human, financial, and information resources strategically.
5. Building Coalitions - This core qualification involves the ability to build coalitions internally and with other Federal agencies, State and local governments, nonprofit and private sector organizations, foreign governments, or international organizations to achieve common goals.
For guidance on how to address the ECQ's in context of your resume, please refer to page 29 of the Guide to SES Qualifications at: http://www.opm.gov/ses/references/GuidetoSESQuals_2012.pdf
The 1993 Hatch Act Reform Amendments prohibit oral and written political recommendations for Federal jobs.
TELEWORK: GSA supports the use of telework as a way to help attract and keep talented individuals in public service, increase worker productivity, and better prepare the agency to operate during emergencies. Telework by Federal employees also reduces energy use, greenhouse gas emissions, and traffic congestion. At the discretion of the supervisor this position may be designated as telework eligible.
NOTICE REGARDING SALARY: Current SES members whose salary equals or exceeds the maximum advertised salary for this vacancy ($181,220), will not lose pay if appointed to this position.
THIS POSITION IS DESIGNATED SES CAREER RESERVED.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
An SES review panel will evaluate your resume based on the quality and extent of your total accomplishments, experience, and education. Applicants determined to be highly qualified may undergo an interview, other assessments and a reference check and may be required to provide a writing sample, work plan or other written product. If selected, you must be certified by an Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Qualifications Review Board (QRB), unless you are a current career SES member, former career SES member with SES career reinstatement eligibility, or have successfully completed an OPM-approved SES Candidate Development Program (SES CDP). You must receive QRB certification before you can be appointed to this position.
To preview questions please click here
Background checks and security clearance
Please review the following information to determine which documents you must submit in order to complete your application.
All applicants must submit a resume (not to exceed 5 pages, including optional cover letter) which demonstrates your experience, accomplishments, training, education and awards, indicating possession of the Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs) listed in this announcement. But?, ?your resume must not address the ECQs in separate narrative responses. Your resume should corroborate your possession of the Mandatory Technical Competencies (MTCs) listed in this announcement, which you must address separately in a supplemental statement as described below.
Information beyond the five page resume and the supplemental MTC statement will not be evaluated. Therefore, p?lease do not submit letters of recommendation, award certificates, diplomas, college transcripts, training certificates (except certificates of completion from an OPM-approved SES Candidate Development Program - SES CDP), or any other documents not specifically requested in the Required Documents section. Any awards, training, or education you wish to highlight should simply be listed in your resume.
In addition, please do not submit: (1) the Optional Application for Federal Employment (OF-612) in lieu of a resume, or (2) separate narrative responses to address the ECQs.
All applicants must submit a supplemental statement that separately addresses each of the MTCs listed in this announcement. Your supplemental statement must be restricted to no more than one page for each MTC. Information beyond one page for each MTC will not be evaluated. YOUR APPLICATION WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED IF YOU FAIL TO SUBMIT THIS SUPPLEMENTAL STATEMENT.
SES NON-COMPETITVE APPLICANTS: Proof of SES non-competitive eligibility is required. Proof consists of:
(1) an SF-50 showing your status as a:
(a) current Career SES appointee,
(b) former Career SES appointee with career SES reinstatement eligibility, or
(c) current or reinstatement eligible Career SES-equivalent executive who is/was employed in a Federal government agency that has an interchange agreement with the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) allowing for movement between the agency’s SES-equivalent personnel system and the SES. NOTE: This applies only to current or reinstatement eligible Career SES-equivalent executives of the Government Accountability Office, the Transportation Security Administration, or the Office of the Inspector General of the United States Postal Service.
(2) a certificate of completion from an OPM-approved SES Candidate Development Program (SES CDP). NOTE: This applies only if your ECQ's have been approved by an OPM Qualifications Review Board (QRB) through the SES CDP.
These documents may be used to determine your eligibility to be considered under this announcement. Non-Competitive applicants must submit a complete application package as noted above. The agency has the option of considering you non-competitively or including you in the competitive process. YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE NON-COMPETITVE CONSIDERATION IF YOU FAIL TO SUBMIT PROOF OF NON-COMPETITVE ELIGIBILITY.
CURRENT CIVIL SERVICE EMPLOYEE APPLICANTS: You must submit an SF-50 that shows your current position, title, series, grade and rate of basic pay as well as Tenure Group. This document may be used to determine your eligibility to be considered under this announcement.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
How to Apply
GSA is only accepting online applications for this position.
Your complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 pm (Eastern) on the closing date in order for you to be considered. Errors or omissions may result in your application package not being considered for this vacancy.
Note: The system has a navigation bar at the top of the each screen. Proceed through each step, providing any required information and documents until you reach the Application Review screen where you must select the Submit Application button at the bottom of the page. To make any changes or edits prior to the closing deadline of the announcement be sure to navigate back through the steps and select the Submit button on the Application Review screen. A more detailed description of the online process is provided below.
1. To begin, click Apply Online to create a USAJOBS account or log in to your existing account. Follow the prompts to select your USAJOBS resume. Please note: Your resume (not-to-exceed 5 pages, including an optional cover letter), should show possession of the Executive Core Qualifications listed in this announcement. Your resume should also corroborate your possession of the Mandatory Technical Competencies (MTC’s) listed in this announcement, which you must address separately in a supplemental statement as described in the “Required Documents” section (below).
2. Once you have completed this step, select Apply for this Position Now!
3. Complete your personal information within GSAjobs. Once you’ve been redirected to GSA’s automated system, follow the prompts to create, review, or update your personal information.
4. Respond to all of the vacancy specific questions.
5. Submit any required documents. A Vacancy Documents page is automatically displayed by the GSAjobs system. Though other documents will be listed, the only documents that should be submitted via this page are your Mandatory Technical Competencies Statement, proof of SES non-competitive eligibility (if applicable), and proof of current Civil Service employment status (if applicable). Review the “Required Documents” section (below) for further information on the Mandatory Technical Competencies Statement, proof of SES non-competitive eligibility, and proof of current Civil Service employment status. You must choose one or more of the following options to submit your document(s): (a) Upload (from your computer), (b) USAJOBS, or (c) FAX. We strongly recommend you read the Fax Instructions provided on the Document Manager page prior to printing the Fax Cover Sheet and faxing your information.
6. Click the Submit” button. Finally, you'll receive an 'Application Review' page which allows you to review the information that will be submitted. Then, YOU MUST CLICK THE “SUBMIT” BUTTON to complete and submit your application package.
7. Confirmation Page. Once you submit your application, you will be forwarded to the Confirmation Page where you can download all or part of your application, return to USAJOBS or to GSA's dashboard.
Note: If you cannot complete any part of the application process listed above, contact the Human Resources Office/representative listed on the announcement prior to the announcement deadline for instructions on how to proceed. Be sure to receive prior HR approval to deviate from these instructions so that your application package will be considered.
Applicants who fail to submit all required information will not receive further consideration for this position.
Agency contact information
Teresa Oliver Teresa Oliver
GSA, Public Buildings Service
General Services Administration
New York, New York
Learn more about this agency
An evaluation of your qualifications will be conducted. The most highly qualified candidates will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration. You will be notified of the outcome.
If you have any questions regarding the status of your application package, please submit your question(s) via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to reference the announcement number (18110030) in the subject area of your email.
Fair & Transparent
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & job applicants
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when: An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations
or how to contact an agency.
Legal and regulatory guidance
Social security number request
Signature and false statements
New employee probationary period
Note: We cannot accept applications on behalf of Federal Agencies. Application instructions are listed within the Job Description.
U.S. General Services Administration.
Website : http://www.gsa.gov
Excellence in the Business of Government. GSA provides workplaces by constructing, managing, and preserving government buildings and by leasing and managing commercial real estate. GSA's acquisition solutions offer private sector professional services, equipment, supplies, and IT to government organizations and the military. GSA also promotes management best practices and efficient government operations through the development of governmentwide policies.