WHAT DOES A REVENUE OFFICER ADVISORY INSOLVENCY QUALITY ADVISOR/REVIEWER DO? A Revenue Officer (AIQ) Advisor/Reviewer is a highly trained professional who has the responsibility for various program areas within AIQ Advisory and Collection. Program areas include a wide range of collection activities in which the advisor must advise and consult with internal and external stakeholders at all levels regarding highly specialized, technical and complex aspects of Federal tax collections.
WHAT IS THE SB/SE DIVISION? The Small Business/Self-Employed (SB/SE) Division provides examinations and taxpayer education services for about 7 million small businesses and upwards of 33 million self-employed and supplemental income taxpayers. SB/SE taxpayers generally have higher incomes than most taxpayers, need to file twice as many tax forms, and generally need to rely more on paid tax preparers and the taxpayer education outreach activities of the IRS.
* PLEASE READ PRIOR TO APPLYING TO THIS POSITION*
When applying to this position, please consider each location before selecting. If you are selected for a position which requires relocation, you are responsible to relocate at your own expense and report on the negotiated start date.
6 positions at any of the following in Territory 1:
1000 Liberty Avenue Pittsburgh, PA
1314 Griswald Plaza Room 105 Erie, PA
130 South Elmwood Avenue, Ste 100 Buffalo, NY
11 A Clinton Ave Albany, NY
255 East Ave Rochester, NY
4 Paragon Way Ste 2 Freehold, NJ
550 Main Street Cincinnati, OH
410 Amherst Street Nashua, NH
80 Daniel Street Portsmouth, NH
15 New Sudbury Street Boston, MA
11 Chenoweth Dr Bridgeport, WV
600 Dr Martin L King Pl Louisville, KY
380 Westminster Mall Providence, RI
1719 C Route 10 Parsippany, NJ
4 positions at any of the following in Territory 2:
400 North 8th St Richmond, VA
7850 S. W. 6th Cour Plantation, FL
4905 Koger Blvd Greensboro, NC
51 Patton Ave Asheville, NC
401 W Peachtree St Atlanta, GA.
4 postions at any of the following in Territory 3:
30 East Seventh St Wells Fargo Place, St. Paul, MN
1222 Spruce St. Louis, MO
55 North Robinson Oklahoma City, OK
1100 Commerce St Dallas, TX
1919 Smith Houston, TX
5 positions at any of the following in Territory 4:
300 North Los Angeles St Los Angeles, CA
24000 Avila Road Laguna Niguel, CA
915 Second Ave Seattle, WA
1999 Broadway Denver, CO
55 South Market St San Jose, CA
1301 Clay St Oakland, CA
777 Sonoma Ave Santa Rosa, CA
Learn more about this agency
As a Revenue Officer (Advisor/Reviewer) you will:
* Determine the need for consultation with or referral to District Counsel. Communicate results of such contact to internal and external customers as needed. May testify as an expert witness for the government or procure necessary witnesses or documentary evidence to sustain the government's position.
* Manage a workload of assigned cases, customer inquiries and program areas. Reviews, analyzes, makes recommendations and, as appropriate, initiates collection actions on a wide variety of issues which may include civil suits, writs, seizures and sales, Federal tax liens and related certificates, redemptions, summonses, transferee, jeopardy and termination assessments, balancing civil and criminal aspects of collection, extension of time to file and pay, collateral agreements, decedent estates, foreclosures, non-judicial sales, judgments, trust fund recovery penalty, suits, subpoenas, waivers and claims for refund. Serves as subject matter expert, instructor and coach. Makes presentations to stakeholders as an expert on various programs, legal and procedural changes. Determine actions necessary to bring taxpayers into full compliance. Take enforced collection action where appropriate.
* Cases assigned are the most complex and involve taxpayers where traditional collection efforts have proven ineffective to bring about resolution. Taxpaying entities include high income individuals, corporations, partnerships, limited liability entities such as a Limited Liability Corporation, CharitableExempt Organizations and other entities where there is indication of the use of significant subterfuges to conceal income or assets, interlocking directorates, dummy corporations, fraudulent transfers, nominee accounts, alter ego, abusive/sham trusts and entities, etc. Identifies and develops complex cases that have national compliance implications.
* The Advisor/Reviewer at this level encounters the complete range of collection activities with the most complex technical issues which require the application of expert knowledge and the development of new concepts, standards, techniques and procedures to resolve cases not susceptible to treatment by established collection procedures or for which no procedures exist. Keeps abreast of emerging issues and applies the information as appropriate.
* Perform complex credit and financial analysis and evaluation of assets on casework involving actions such as discharge applications, collateral agreements, redemptions, seizures, nominee liens, judicial actions, currently not collectible accounts, offers in compromise, and trust fund recovery penalties. Plans and directs appropriate action, including enforcement action such as levy, after consulting with the taxpayer and/or representative and evaluating other internal and external sources that verify taxpayer information provided.
* Provide technical direction to others in the organization, as well as to outside stakeholders. Is called upon by other parts of the organization and acts as a subject matter expert for all types of technical complex collection issues. Acts as lead on multiple entity cases and provides guidance and direction to other revenue officers on assigned related case components.
* Serves as a lead, coordinating case actions and developing a comprehensive case strategy involving other Revenue Officers and functions. Provides training and technical assistance to lower graded employees in the group. Shares knowledge and skills within the workplace. Serves as acting supervisor.
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OTHER IRS CAREERS? If you want to find out more about IRS careers, visit us on the web at ****
Occasional travel - Travel locally and/or overnight approximately one to five days per month.
Who May ApplyThis job is open to…Current IRS Internal/Agency Employees
Questions? This job is open to 1 group.
* Job family (Series)
1169 Internal Revenue Officer
HelpRequirements Conditions of Employment
* Please refer to Conditions of Employment.
* Click Print Preview to review the entire announcement before applying.
* IRS Employees with Career or Career Conditional Appointments
* Must be a U.S. Citizen or National
You must meet the following requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
GS-13 LEVEL: You must have 1 year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-12 grade level in the Federal service.
Specialized experience for this position includes:
Demonstrated knowledge and experience collecting delinquent Federal taxes and securing delinquent returns; conducting investigations of alleged criminal violations of Federal tax statutes and making recommendations for criminal prosecutions and civil penalties; performing internal audit, administrative, or management duties directly related to the collection of Federal taxes; experience working with complex business entities to resolve tax collection issues; experience in working debt collection issues that demonstrated an extensive knowledge of the Internal Revenue Code, tax laws and related regulations with high level corporate officials and attorneys; and/or experience testifying in court to represent a position in a tax collection issue, and/or other experience that demonstrated an extensive knowledge of the Internal Revenue Manual.
* The experience may have been gained in the public sector, private sector or VolunteerService. One year of experience refers to full-timework; part-timework is considered on a prorated basis.
* To ensure full credit for your work experience, please indicate dates of employment by month/year, and indicate number of hours worked per week, on your resume.
In addition to the above requirements, you must meet the following, if applicable: You must have been at the GS-12 level for 52 weeks (time-in-grade requirement).