WHAT DOES AN INTAKE TECHNICIAN DO? As an Intake Technician you will interface with customers who were unsuccessful in their attempts to resolve their tax related inquiries through normal channels. In this position you will provide administrative and technical assistance which involve a wide range of issues related to tax-processing requirements and procedures. Assistance is provided in terms of the individual customer's needs in consideration of each customer's situation or problem.
WHAT IS THE TAXPAYER ADVOCATE SERVICE DIVISION: If you're ready for a challenging career opportunity, consider a career with the Internal Revenue Service Taxpayer Advocate Service (TAS). The Taxpayer Advocate Service is an independent organization within the IRS. The TAS mission is to assist taxpayers in resolving their problems with the IRS (Case Advocacy), and to identify and propose administrative and legislative solutions to mitigate those problems (Systemic Advocacy).
50 Positions to be filled in Taxpayer Advocate Service, EDCA ITS-CCI in the following locations: 24000 Avila Road, Laguna Niguel, CA 92677-3405 (CA0521) (16 vacancies - TOD: Monday - Friday, 9:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. PST); 1222 Spruce, Saint Louis, MO 63103-2818 (MO0106), (18 vacancies - TOD: Monday - Friday, 9:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. CST) and 915 Second Avenue, Seattle, WA 98174-1009 (WA0101), (16 vacancies - TOD: 9:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. PST).
This is a roster announcement that will be used to fill positions throughout the next 6 months. We are projecting approximately 50 vacancies that may be filled during the life of this roster. Contingent upon funding and space requirements, one or more vacancies may be filled as they become available during the life of this roster.
Learn more about this agency
As an Intake Technician you will:
* Manage incoming telephone call traffic and customer inquiries with internal, taxpayer, congressional, and stakeholder contacts.
* Confer with customers experiencing a hardship; clarify any issues and present possible courses of action.
* Review and establish initial controls and distribute all incoming casework within guidelines and timeframes.
* Review and process routine Congressional, White House and other priority inquiries.
* Interpret relevant data including master file records and tax account history.
* Ensure that possible systemic errors and improper tax treatment is brought to the attention of the appropriate areas.
* Protect taxpayer confidentiality information as outlined in IRC §6103 and 7803(c)(4)(a)(IV).
If you are selected at a lower grade level, you will have the opportunity to learn to perform all these duties, and will receive training to help you grow in this position.
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OTHER IRS CAREERS? If you want to find out more about IRS careers, visit us on the web at ****
Occasional travel - 01 - 05 nights per month and may be required for training
Who May ApplyThis job is open to…-Current IRS Internal/Agency Employees
Questions? This job is open to 1 group.
* Job family (Series)
0503 Financial Clerical And Assistance
HelpRequirements Conditions of Employment
* Please refer to Conditions of Employment.
* Click Print Preview to review the entire announcement before applying.
* Must be a U.S. Citizen or National
* IRS Employees on Career or Career Conditional Appointments
You must meet the following requirements by the closing date of this announcement;
GS-05 LEVEL: You must have 1 year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-04 grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience for this position includes:
* Experience sufficient to demonstrate a basic knowledge of IRS tax procedures, policies (rules and regulations), and tax forms to assist customers in the resolution of account inquires;
* Basic knowledge of IDRS, master file and non-master file processing and adjustment codes, and account transaction codes to retrieve information from various databases; and
* The ability to review technical information updates in order to maintain current knowledge of basic tax law and internal processing procedures. OR
You may substitute education for specialized experience as follows: A Bachelor's degree or four (4) years of education above high school in any field of study from an accredited college or university. OR
GS-06 LEVEL: You must have at least one year (12 months), or more of specialized experience: Specialized experience is
experience that is in or related to this position and provided you with the particular knowledge, skills and abilities to
perform successfully the duties of this position. Examples of experience qualifying as specialized include: Preparing,
receiving, reviewing, and verifying documents; processing transactions; maintaining office records; and locating and
compiling data or information from files and other data sources; processing a variety of tax returns and reports; examining
tax returns and supporting documents for current and prior year and amended returns; and contacting customers through correspondence or telephone to obtain information, explain liability, and encourage compliance. This list is not inclusive. To be creditable, this experience must have been equivalent to at least the GS-05 grade level in the Federal service.
GS-07 LEVEL: You must have at least one year (12 months), or more of specialized experience: Specialized experience is experience that is in or related to this position and provided you with the particular knowledge, skills and abilities to perform successfully the duties of this position. Examples of experience qualifying as specialized include: Preparing,receiving, reviewing, and verifying documents; processing transactions; maintaining office records; and locating and compiling data or information from files and other data sources; processing a variety of tax returns and reports; ensuring that all required identification, schedules, income tax deposits, or other required information is available; and contacting customers through correspondence or telephone to obtain information, explain liability, and encourage compliance. This list is not inclusive. To be creditable, this experience must have been equivalent to at least the GS-06 grade level in the Federal service.
For Grades 5 through 07: You may qualify by a combination of experience and education. Options for qualifying based on a combination will be identified in the online questions.
* The experience may have been gained in the public sector, private sector or VolunteerService. One year of experience refers to full-time work; part-time work is considered on a prorated basis.
* To ensure full credit for your work experience, please indicate dates of employment by month/year, and indicate number of hours worked per week, on your resume.
In addition to the above requirements, you must meet the following, if applicable: Grades 6/7 Only: You must have been at the next lower grade level of the grade you are applying to for 52 weeks (time-in-grade requirement).