Office of the Director of National Intelligence
Bethesda, MD, United States
Sciences, Scientist, Government
Strategy and Engagement sets the strategy for the future, and ensures that the IC's current focus is aligned with IC strategies to drive national security outcomes. We position the IC to achieve our future vision by leading transformative initiatives and cutting-edge research and development; supporting and spurring innovation; re-imagining data management in the digital age; establishing clear policy and direction; and actively engaging with our overseers and the public.
Transformation & Innovation - Identifies emerging challenges and threats that may affect our intelligence capabilities over the long term; spurs cross-IC innovation, creativity and investment to address those threats and advance Community priorities; and leads transformational IC-wide initiatives that will drive the IC toward our future goals and strategy.
Major Duties and Responsibilities (MDRs)
• Development of the technical strategy, development and investment
strategy for AI; Develop a clear vision on investment opportunities 10-15
• The design and technical implementation of end-to-end integrated AI/ML
systems in support of Community missions and functions.
• Management of the internal research and development portfolio for the Hub
• Establish and oversee a workforce development program for continuous
development of a cadre of AI experts for the Intelligence Community
• Develop, nurture and grow relationships with experts in the field including:
• The IC and the DoD
• The National Academies, national laboratories and research
organizations (DARPA, IARPA)
• Experts in academia and industry
• Publication, presentation, and contribution as a thought leader in the field
of machine learning and AI
• Engage and influence key stakeholders to support the ODNI's Key
• Direct and oversee national intelligence issues related to the area of
responsibility, set collection, analysis and Intelligence operations priorities
that has an impact on IC, ODNI, directorates or components, or external
• Lead the IC to remain current with major technical developments and with
other IC programs in areas of interest.
• Create and sustain partnerships with other IC elements.
• Lead and oversee the formulation, development, production and evaluation
of a broad range of policies, processes, and guidance on subject areas,
including mission enabling functions and intelligence oversight disciplines,
and communicate these policies, processes, and guidelines to community
Minimum Qualifications Required
Mandatory and Educational Requirements
• Ph.D. in Machine Learning or related fields from recognized leader in the
• 10 years of hands-on research experience in AI and related, commercial
• Highly cited publications in relevant fields
• Demonstrated expertise in multiple aspect of AI including extensive
experience in in creating and applying AI solutions across multiple
• Supervised and unsupervised learning
• Deep neural networks / deep machine learning
• Natural language process
• Machine translation
• Computer Vision (Images & Video)
• Neural network designs including recurrent neural networks, RNN, LSTM,
Encoder / Decoders and GANs
Applicants from Federal Agencies outside the IC, please visit www.dni.gov and search the vacancy number for directions on how to apply to this vacancy.
What To Expect Next
The most highly qualified candidates will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interview. We expect to make a selection within 30 days of the closing date of this announcement. Due to the large number of applications received, applicants will be contacted ONLY if they have been selected for an interview.
The ODNI is an equal opportunity employer and abides by applicable employment laws and regulations.
REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS FOR PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES: The ODNI provides reasonable accommodations to otherwise qualified applicants with disabilities. IF YOU NEED A REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify the Intelligence Community Equal Employment Opportunity and Diversity Office Representative by classified email at DNI_COO_TM_EEOD_RA_WMA@cia.ic.gov, by unclassified email at DNI-EEOD_WMA@cia.ic.gov, by telephone at 301-243-0704 or by FAX at 301-243-1200. Your request for reasonable accommodation will be addressed on a case-by-case basis. PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION TO THE EEOD EMAIL ADDRESS. THIS EMAIL IS FOR REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION REQUESTS ONLY. PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION VIA THE EMAIL ADDRESS PROVIDED IN THE 'HOW TO APPLY' SECTION ABOVE.
How to Apply
1. IC employees must apply by the vacancy close date. The IC employee application should include the following...
a. A brief (two-page limit) candidate resume or biographical summary.
b. A short narrative describing the applicant's qualifications (general and specific) for the joint duty rotational assignment.
2. Consistent with IC Standard 601-1, IC employees must be nominated by their employing (home) element within 10 days of the vacancy close date in order to be considered by the gaining element. Please contact your employing element's Joint Duty Program Office for nomination procedures as some agencies may require written supervisory endorsement at the time of application. IC Element Joint Duty Program Office contact info can be found at: https://ichas.dni.ic.gov/JDAT/Contacts.aspx. Any application sent directly by an IC employee to the gaining element will not be considered.
Vacancy Open Date
Vacancy Close Date
ODNI Recruitment Team A
Research & Technology
Senior National Intelligence Service
Additional Grades Considered
Tour Length (months)
Security Clearance Required
Polygraph Level Required
Office of the Director of National Intelligence
Website : http://www.dni.gov