New York State Education Department
From $68238 to $86398 Annually
Education Department, State
Assistant in Instructional Services (N-6), Box P12-1742/61008
PS&T - Professional, Scientific, and Technical (PEF)
From $68238 to $86398 Annually
Hours Per Week
Compressed workweek allowed?
Office of Education Policy
Office of Curriculum and Instruction
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Assistant in Instructional Services (N-6).
Provisional Appointment: Candidates may be eligible for a non-permanent provisional appointment. For a non-permanent provisional appointment, candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Assistant in Instructional Services (N-6) OR candidates must possess a master's degree AND a New York State permanent or professional certification in Childhood Education (grades 1-6) AND three years of full-time classroom teaching experience in that subject area and corresponding grade levels.
The New York State Education Department’s Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for an Assistant in Instructional Services (N-6) position in the Office of Curriculum and Instruction. This Office is responsible for the areas of English Language Arts, Mathematics, Social Studies, Science, the Arts, Physical Education, and professional development initiatives to support these subject areas. The incumbent of this position will provide technical assistance and develop standards-based guidance materials to help the field in implementing the NYS Learning Standards and required elementary-level State assessments. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Assist in building capacity of school administrators, teachers and parents in understanding and implementing the NYS Learning Standards for the elementary testing program;
• Assist with managing vendor activities and responsibilities related to NYS Learning Standards, curricula, and computer-based and print-based assessments for quality, timeliness, accuracy and completeness;
• Assist with developing and conducting training and related workshops to build teachers’ content knowledge and pedagogy in elementary education;
• Partner with University of the State of New York member institutions to provide a variety of professional development opportunities related to the NYS Learning Standards;
• Offer technical assistance to school personnel and other stakeholders in the area of elementary education;
• Administer a variety of competitive federal and State grant programs supporting increased student achievement in the area of elementary education;
• Provide content expertise on the development of curriculum, instruction and assessment models in the standard areas;
• Serve as liaison to State and federal organizations on educational policy initiatives and practices; and
• Research and prepare professional development materials, grants, contracts, proposed regulatory and policy statements, and informational materials.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This will be a contingent permanent or non-permanent provisional appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and certification will be required for all candidates at the time of interview.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $86,398 based on annual performance advances.
APPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by February 1, 2018 to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (P12-1742/61008) of the position in the subject line of your email and/or cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Office of Human Resources Management
NYS Education Department
89 Washington Avenue, OHRM, Room 528EB
The New York State Education Department is part of the University of the State of New York (USNY), one of the most complete, interconnected systems of educational services in the United States. Our mission is to raise the knowledge, skill, and opportunity of all the people in New York. Our vision is to provide leadership for a system that yields the best educated people in the world.