MATERIALS EXAMINER AND IDENTIFIER (FORK LIFT OPERATOR)
Defense Logistics Agency
See below for important information regarding this job.
Learn more about this agency
* Examines, identifies and verifies a variety of materials, complete equipment items, technical components, parts, and commodities.
* Receives, checks, verifies, sorts and classifies materials and equipment by stock number, size, classification and condition.
* Uses technical manuals to identify and verify materials.
* Determines the correct condition code, classification, repairability or non-repairability of items and estimates economic feasibility or cost of repair.
* Initiates records to document receiving and processing discrepancies and material defects found during phases of examination.
* Operates forklifts with a capacity of lifting loads weighing up to 15,000 fbs and related materials handling equipment to deliver, relocate, up-load, off-load, and move materials and equipment.
### Travel Required
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
##### Supervisory status
##### Promotion Potential
* #### Job family (Series)
6912 Materials Examining And Identifying
### Conditions of Employment
* Must be a U.S. citizen
* Tour of Duty: 1st Shift
* Security Requirements: Non - Cirtical Sensitive with Secret Access
* Appointment is subject to the completion of a favorable suitability or fitness determination, where reciprocity cannot be applied; unfavorably adjudicated background checks will be grounds for removal.
* Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA): Non-Exempt
* Selective Service Requirement: Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service.
* Recruitment Incentives: Not Authorized
* Pre-Employment Physical: Required
* Subject to Overseas Rotation Agreement, Tour Length: Yes, 36 months,
To qualify for a Materials Examiner and Identifier (FLO), your qualifications must include:
Per OPM's Job Qualification System for Trades and Labor Occupations, the applicant's experience, education and training must show enough knowledge, skills and abilities to demonstrate the potential to successfully perform the duties of the position. Under this system, how applicants gained their skill and knowledge, or the length of time they have spent in a line of work, are not as important as the fact that they have the required ability or potential to do the job.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Performs moderate to heavy lifting when- rnoving material by hand or hand-truck. They may Lift or cearry items that weight up to 50 lb. The heavier items are moved with weight handling equipment or with assistance from other workers. Performs work on hard surgaces over rough terrain and on forklifts. Assignments require prolonged working in tiring and uncomfortable positions, standing, walking, bending, stooping and pushing and pulling material.
Work is performed inside warehouses that may be hot, cold, damp and drafty and in outside areas, i.e., dock areas, scrap yards, or other areas exposed to varying weather conditions. Is exposed to physical hazards normally associated with scrap yard, open storage, and warehouse operations including various kinds of material handling equipment and hand and power tools. Wears safety equipment as required. Incumbent must exercise precautions to avoid injury to/from others in operation of Fork lifts and other equipment in the work area. Safety and Health Responsiblities: As a condition of employment, incumbent shall adhere to all safety standards, rules, regulations, and procedures and use personal protective equipment and devices as required and work in a safe and healthy manner. Must remain continually aware of the necessity for job safety and health precautions. Must immediatly report all occupational mishaps, illnesses, and injuries to supervisor on day of occurance. Reports and corrections, where possible, unsafe and unhealthy conditions to supervisor. Any person(s) performing the duties in this positon description may be required to participate in a medical survellance program. Inclusion in the medical servellance program will be determined by the DLA Distribution Safety and Occupational Health Manager, in conjunction with the host industrial hygienist/bio-environmentalist.
### Additional information
**ADDITIONAL OVERSEAS INFORMATION:**
For an explanation of the overseas entitlements, please review the information in the following link:
****U.S. citizens overseas under ordinarily resident status are not eligible for appointment under the Status of Forces Agreement. Ordinarily Resident is defined as a U.S. citizen who is locally resident; and, has legal, permanent resident status within the host country; and, is subject to host country employment and tax laws.
Pay Retention will be extended to an eligible employee who applies through a formal recruitment program and is selected for a position at an overseas location.
Cost of Living Allowance and Non-Foreign Post Differential may be authorized upon determination of eligibility. Please review the following link for additional information:
It is highly recommended that research be done about the cost of living in Hawaii prior to applying. For information about the cost of living and many other important items to consider visit:
******For Important General Applicant Information and Definitions go
to:********Reemployed Annuitants:** This position does not meet criteria for appointment of Reemployed Annuitants. The DoD criteria for hiring Reemployed Annuitants can be found at:
**INFORMATION FOR VETERANS** is available at:
****As of 23 December 2016, Military retirees seeking to enter federal service in the Department of Defense now require a waiver if they would be appointed within 180 days following their official date of retirement.
**DRUG-FREE WORKPLACE:** The Defense Logistics Agency (DLA) has established a Drug-Free Federal Workplace Policy. All applicants tentatively selected for DLA employment in a testing designated position are subject to urinalysis to screen for illegal drug use prior to appointment. Applicants who refuse to be tested will be denied employment with DLA for a period of six months. This policy extends to random testing for the use of illegal drugs by employees who occupy testing designated positions defined as sensitive in Section 7(d) of Executive Order 12564. The Defense Logistics Agency's Drug Free Workplace Plan's drug testing panel includes testing for the following illegal substances: marijuana, cocaine, opiates
6-Acetylmorphine (heroin), phencyclidine, amphetamines
(MDA), oxycodone, oxymorphone, hydrocodone, and hydromorphone.
### How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
The assessments for this job will measure the following Job
* Ability to do the work of a Materials Examiner & Identifier (FLO) without more than normal supervision (SOE)
* Knowledge of Technical Practicies
* Knowledge of Materials
* Ability to Interpret Instructions, Specifications, etc. (other than blueprints)
* Skill in Dexterity and Safety
Once the application process is complete, a review of your resume and supporting documentation may be completed and compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job. The rating you receive is based on your responses to the assessment questionnaire. The score is a measure of the degree to which your background matches the job
required for this position. If your resume and/or supporting documentation is reviewed and a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating.
### Background checks and security clearance
##### Security clearance
##### Drug test required
* Required Documents
## Required Documents
To apply for this position you must provide a complete Application Package. Each Application Package MUST include:
1. Your Resume listing work schedule, hours worked per week, dates of employment and duties performed. If multiple resumes are submitted by an applicant, only the last resume submitted will be reviewed for the qualifications and referred for selection consideration if eligible.
2. Applicable documents to support the eligibility(s) for which you are applying. Please review the following link for a listing of the additional documents you will need to provide: Supporting Documents.
#### If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
* How to Apply
## How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the online application and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below.
The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on the closing date to receive consideration.
* To begin, click Apply Online to access an online application. Follow the prompts to select your USAJOBS resume and/or other supporting documents. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account or you may need to create a new account.
* You will be taken to an online application. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation, and submit the application.
* You will receive an email notification when your application has been received for the announcement.
* To verify the status of your application, log into your USAJOBS account,
****select the Application Status link and then select the More Information link for this position. The Application Status page will display the status of your application, the documentation received and processed, and your responses submitted to the online application. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
To preview the questionnaire, please go to
### Agency ****
DLA Distribution Pearl Harbor
2000 Gaffney Street
Pearl Harbor, HI 96860
Learn more about this agency
### Next steps
Once you successfully complete the application process, you will receive a notification of receipt. Your application package will be reviewed to ensure you meet the basic eligibility and qualifications requirements, and you will receive a notification. A review may be completed of your online questionnaire and the documentation you submitted to support your responses. Applicants that are found among the most highly qualified may be referred to the hiring official for consideration, and you will receive a notification of referral. The selecting official may choose to conduct interviews, and as part of the selection process, applicants may be required to complete additional supplemental documents. Once the selection is made, you will receive a notification of the decision. If interviews are conducted, DLA uses a technique called Behavior Based Interviewing (BBI). Be sure to check your USA Jobs account for your notification updates.
* Fair & Transparent
## Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
### Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
* Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & job applicants
### Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
* An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
* An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
* An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
#### Legal and regulatory guidance
* Financial suitability
* Social security number request
* Privacy Act
* Signature and false statements
* Selective Service
* New employee probationary period
This job originated on ****For the full announcement and to apply, visit
****Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at ****will be considered.
*Open & closing dates:* 08/03/2018 to 08/13/2018
*Pay scale & grade:* WG 6
*Salary:* $22.92 to $26.74 per hour
*Appointment type:* Permanent - Multiple Appointment Types
*Work schedule:* Full-Time