Army National Guard
$103,106.00 to $134,038.00
Open & closing dates
$103,106 to $134,038 per year
Pay scale & grade
1 vacancy in the following location:
Relocation expenses reimbursed
This job is open to
National Guard & Reserves
Current members, those who want to join, or transitioning military members.
This National Guard position is for a DEPUTY USPFO, Position Description Number D1919000and is part of the USPFO, Nebraska Army National Guard.
The National Guard is the oldest component of the Armed Forces of the United States. Since the earliest American colonial days, citizens have joined together for collective defense. We have a proud tradition of coming to the aid of our friends and neighbors in times of serious emergencies. Join our National Guard team and serve your nation, your states and your community!
NATIONAL GUARD MEMBERSHIP IS REQUIRED: This is a Title 32 excepted service position that requires membership in a compatible military assignment in the National Guard. Selectee will be required to wear the military uniform. Acceptance of an excepted service position constitutes concurrence with these requirements as a condition of employment. Applicants who are not currently a member of the National Guard must be eligible for immediate membership and employment in the National Guard in the military grade listed in this announcement.
FOR QUESTIONS REGARDING ELIGIBILITY TO JOIN THE NEBRASKA ARMY NATIONAL GUARD PLEASE CONTACT THE LOCAL RECRUITING OFFICE AT 402-309-7458.
OPEN AREAS OF CONSIDERATION: AREA 1 and 2
DEFINITION OF AREA(S) OF CONSIDERATION:
AREA 1: Current permanent and indefinite technicians of the Nebraska Army or Air National Guard; and current Title 5 employees of the Nebraska Military Department who are military members of the Nebraska National Guard.
AREA 2: All Drill Status/M-Day members and temporary technicians of the Nebraska Air or Army National Guard.
AREA 3: Current military service members who are willing and eligible to become members of the Nebraska Air or Army National Guard.
AREA 4: All qualified candidates eligible and willing to become a member of the Nebraska National Air or Army National Guard prior to the effective date of hire.
Learn more about this agency
As a DEPUTY USPFO, GS-0340-14, duties include:
(1) Serves as a full deputy to the USPFO. Plans, organizes, and oversees the activities of the USPFO in their state. Develops goals and objectives that integrate manpower and personnel support objectives into the state, short and long-term operational plans. Establishes, revises or reviews policies, procedures, mission objectives, and organizational design for the USPFO and staff, to ensure work problems or barriers for mission accomplishment is eliminated.
(2) Ensures the proper obligation and expenditure of all Federal funds and the safeguarding of all Federal property in the possession of the state National Guard (32 USC 708). Ensures requirements are authenticated, certifies as to authority and authorizes the expenditure of funds for property, supplies, equipment, services, and payrolls within statutory and USPFO appointment limitations. Responsible for ensuring the accuracy of payrolls for all personnel who are compensated from Federal funds. Ensures that all invoices for supplies and services procured with Federal funds are valid, accurate and within the limitations of law and appointment restrictions.
(3) As an agent of the USPFO and Chief, National Guard Bureau (CNGB) in support of the state Adjutant General provides financial and logistical resources for the maintenance of Federal property in the possession of the National Guard of the State (32 USC 10503). Furnishes advice and assistance to units/organizations/activities within the state to ensure that Federal funds and property are used in conformance with applicable laws/regulations, within statutory limits. Performs returns and creates reports on Federal funds and property as directed by the Secretaries of the Army and Air Force and the Chief, National Guard Bureau (Title 32 U.S.C. 708).
(4) Exercises supervisory human resources responsibilities. Directs, coordinates, and oversees work through subordinate supervisors. Advises staff regarding policies, procedures, and directives of higher-level management or headquarters. Nominates or selects candidates for subordinate non-supervisory and supervisory positions taking into consideration skills and qualifications, mission requirements, and EO/EEO and diversity objectives. Ensures performance standards, counseling's, and ratings are completed IAW regulations and local policy. Explains performance expectations to subordinate supervisors and employees directly supervised and provides regular feedback on strengths and weaknesses. Appraises performance of subordinate supervisors and other employees directly supervised and serves as reviewing official on evaluation of non-supervisory employees rated by subordinate supervisors. Approves expenses comparable to within-grade increases, extensive compensatory time, and employee travel. Recommends awards for non-supervisory personnel and changes in position classification to higher-level managers. Hears and resolves group grievances and employee complaints referred by subordinate supervisors and employees. Initiates action to correct performance or conduct problems of employees directly supervised and reviews and/or approves serious disciplinary actions (e.g. suspensions, removals) involving non-supervisory subordinates. Ensures documentation prepared to support actions is proper and complete. Reviews developmental needs of subordinate supervisors and non-supervisory employees and makes decisions on non-routine, costly or controversial training needs and/or requests for unit employees. Encourages self-development. Approves leave for subordinate supervisors and ensures adequate coverage in organization through peak workloads and traditional holiday vacation time. Demonstrates sensitivity to ideas of subordinates. Ensures actions taken directly as well as those by subordinate supervisors to promote an environment in which employees are empowered to participate in and contribute to effective mission accomplishment. Discharges security responsibilities by ensuring education and compliance with security directives for employees with access to classified or sensitive material. Recognizes and takes appropriate action to correct situations posing a threat to the health or safety of subordinates. Coordinates purchasing and contracting actions within the authority established by the USPFO. Applies EEO/affirmative employment principles and requirements to all personnel management actions and decisions, and ensures all personnel are treated in a manner free of discrimination. Explains classification determinations to subordinate employees.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
Nebraska National Guard Area 1 and 2 applicants
Questions? This job is open to 1 group.
Job family (Series)
0340 Program Management
Conditions of Employment
Military membership in the Nebraska National Guard Membership is required.
Males born after 31 December 1959 must be registered for Selective Service.
Obtain/maintain the level of security clearance/background check required
May be required to successfully complete a probationary period.
Direct Deposit is mandatory
Individuals with military incentive bonuses may be subject to recoupment.
Compatible military grade and assignment required prior to the effective date of placement. This is an excepted service position that requires membership in a compatible military assignment in the Nebraska Army National Guard. Applicants who are not currently a member of the National Guard must be eligible for immediate membership. If you are not sure you are eligible for military membership, please contact a National Guard recruiter prior to applying for this position.
Military Grades: Maximum: O6; Minimum: O5; Military Grade inversion within the full time work forces is not permitted. The military grade of the full time supervisor must equal or exceed the military grade of the personnel supervised.
Compatible Military Assignments: O1A, 12A, 25A, 36A, 42B, 42H, 88A, 90A, 91A, 92A, 53A, 51A, 51C, 51R, 51S, 51T
Individual does not have to be currently assigned to one of these career fields ot be considered for this position; however compatibility requirements must be met prior to appointment to the position. Selectee has 24 months to become qualified in a compatible military assignment.
This is a Financial Management Level 3 Certified position IAW the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) 2012, Public Law 112-81, subtitle F-financial management, Section 1599d. Incumbent shall comply with the requirements of this certification program.
Security Clearance/Background Check requirements:
In order to comply with US DOD requirements and ensure the safety and security of the missions, programs, property and personnel of the Nebraska Military Department, employees must obtain the appropriate background investigation and maintain the level of security clearance assigned to their respective work.
Failure to obtain, within one year of appointment, and maintain the designated type of security clearance/background check required for the respective work may result in a job offer being rescinded, separations of employment, or other actions as may be deemed in the best interest of the agency.
Prior to appointment individuals must meet the security clearance requirements for the position or submit the required documents of the Nebraska National Guard, Personnel Security Manager for processing the appropriate investigation. Required forms: SF86, PSIP Initiation Form, Fingerprints, OF306 and Application/Resume.
Nebraska National Guard Personnel Security Manager - firstname.lastname@example.org; 402-309-8145.
GENERAL EXPERIENCE: Experience, education or training in managing or directing, one or more programs, including appropriate supporting service organizations. Supervisory, managerial, professional or technical work experience and/or training which has provided knowledge of management principles, practices, methods and techniques. Experience using computer and automation systems.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: Must have at least 36 months experience analyzing problems, identifying significant factors, gathering pertinent data and recognizing solutions; preparing reports, plans, policies and various correspondence; evaluating objectives and develop plans to facilitate the availability and effective utilization of various resources; Must have knowledge of the organization and its mission and utilized the organizational staff procedures. Experience applying analytical and evaluative techniques to issues or studies concerning the efficiency and effectiveness of program operations carried out by administrative or professional personnel, or substantive administrative support functions. Experience in managing the function of the work to be performed. Experience which includes leading, directing and assigning work of personnel.
If you are a male applicant who was born after 12/31/1959 and are required to register under the Military Selective Service Act, the Defense Authorization Act of 1986 requires that you be registered or you are not eligible for appointment in this agency ( https://www.sss.gov/RegVer/wfRegistration.aspx
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the announcement has closed, your resume and supporting documentation will be used to determine if you meet the qualifications listed on this announcement. Your answers to the assessment questionnaire will be verified against information provided in your resume and other supporting documentation. Be sure that your resume clearly supports your responses to all the questions addressing experience and education relevant to this position.
In describing your experience, please be clear and specific, we will not make assumptions regarding your experience. If, after reviewing your resume and supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications or experiences, your rating will be adjusted or you may be excluded from consideration for this position.
Your qualifications will be evaluated against general and specialized experience under the Qualifications section and against the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
Administration and Management, Decision Making, Managing Human Resources, and Planning and Evaluating
To preview the assessment questionnaire, please use the following link: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10111680
Background checks and security clearance
To apply for this position, you must submit a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Your resume showing work schedule, hours worked per week, dates (format should include Month and Year) of employment and duties performed.
Use this link for Resume Tips
2. Other supporting documents (optional) Cover Letter
Other Veterans Document
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Benefits for federal employees
Pay and leave
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the online application and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below.
A complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (Eastern) on the closing date of the announcement to receive consideration.
To begin, click Apply to access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one before beginning the application.
Follow the prompts to select your resume and/or other supporting documents to be included with your application package. You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is submitted. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
After acknowledging you have reviewed your application package, complete the Include Personal Information section as you deem appropriate and click to continue with the application process.
You will be taken to the online application which you must complete in order to apply for the position. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation is included with your application package, and submit the application.
To verify the status of your application, log into your USAJOBS account ( https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login
), all of your applications will appear on the Welcome screen. The Application Status will appear along with the date your application was last updated. For information on what each Application Status means, visit: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/how-to/application/status/
Agency contact information
2433 NW 24th Street
Learn more about this agency
Once your online application is submitted you will receive a confirmation notification by email. Your application will be evaluated by the Human Resources Office to determine your eligibility for the position. After the evaluation is complete, you will receive another notification regarding the status of your application.
Qualified candidates will be referred to the selecting official in the following order:
1. Fully qualified Area 1 and 2 applicants
Fair & Transparent
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & job applicants
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when: An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations
or how to contact an agency.
Legal and regulatory guidance
Social security number request
Signature and false statements
New employee probationary period
Note: We cannot accept applications on behalf of Federal Agencies. Application instructions are listed within the Job Description.
Army National Guard
Website : http://www.arng.army.mil/