Washington State Department of Transportation
Inspector/Designer - TE2 In-Training
The South Central Region has an exciting opportunity for multiple talented and innovative engineers to join their dynamic team in Richland. These positions will perform skilled engineering tasks in support of WSDOT engineering projects. As a Transportation Engineer, you will have a high impact on WSDOTs mission to provide and support safe, reliable, and cost effective transportation options. Our top candidates will be detail-oriented, possess outstanding technical skills, and have the ability to work independently and lead and motivate others.
At WSDOT, we honor diversity in the workplace and support one another with respect and trust. If you would like to join our team-oriented environment and enjoy continuously changing environment with a great deal of career stability and growth, definitely consider a career opportunity with WSDOT.
Note: This is an in-training position that offers a career path and on-the-job training. This position allows you to progress through the Transportation Engineer field, and achieve the goal class of a Transportation Engineer 2. Candidates will be considered as a Transportation Engineer 1 or Transportation Engineer 2, depending on qualifications. The salary levels for each are:
Transportation Engineer 1: $50,292 - $67,584
Transportation Engineer 2: $55,476 - $74,604
This position will perform the following work:
- Inspect and direct the inspection of highway and highway structures for conformance with contract plans and specifications.
- Monitor quantity and quality of materials.
- Calculate quantities, ensure documentation is accurate, and prepare notes to support payment for activities inspected.
- Complete daily records, force account sheets, and other documentation.
- Supervise, mentor, and train subordinate inspectors on proper procedures and documentation.
- Perform field reviews of future projects.
- Evaluate alternate designs requiring detailed analysis of accident data, capacity studies, hydraulics, etc.
- Prepare and review design files, hydraulics reports, access reports, environmental documents, design estimates, right or way plans, contour plans, specifications, estimates and special provisions using field data and standard design criteria.
- Utilize personal computer for alignments, earthwork, drainage analysis, bridge site data, and quantities.
- Direct support staff in the preparation of quantities, estimates, grades, elevations, maps, plans, profiles, cross-sections, details, structural notes, and beginning level design work.
- Other duties as required.
An ideal candidate for this position will have:
- Certification as an Engineer in Training (EIT) with One (1) year experience as a Transportation Technician 3 or equivalent, OR Two (2) years of experience as a Transportation Technician 3 or equivalent, OR a Masters degree in Civil Engineering or closely related field.
- Solid understanding of engineering principles and mathematical formulas.
- The ability to read, interpret, understand, review and produce contract plans, specifications, and estimates.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbally and in writing.
- Proficient use of computers, including knowledge of engineering software.
- The ability to safely move 50 pounds.
- The ability to work in adverse weather conditions, on steep and uneven terrain near fast moving traffic.
- Willingness and ability to work and stay out of town for extended periods of time.
- Valid drivers license and the ability to operate a motor vehicle.
Note: This position is covered by a union shop provision. Therefore, as a condition of employment, you are required to become a member of the PTE, Local 17, or arrange to pay that union a representational fee. The union shop requirement shall be effective on the first day of the month following the employees initial 30 days in this classification.
Contact us: For inquiries about this position, please contact Brionna Fernandez at ************ or email to ********************. Please reference recruitment number 18DOT-SCR-50969(m)
The Washington State Department of Transportation is an equal opportunity employer. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, and disabled and Vietnam era veterans are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may call the Office of Human Resources, at ************ or email at ********************.
Enter your details to join Resume-Library and apply for this role
This email already exists
Enter your password to login and apply
Forgotten your password?
Washington State Department of Transportation
Website : http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/