Georgia Department of Transportation
Under direct supervision, learns to maintain, diagnose, inspect and/or repair engines, vehicles and other motorized equipment.
JOB SPECIFIC DUTIES:
Under close supervision, maintains, diagnoses, and performs repairs of moderate difficulty on gasoline and diesel-powered engines, vehicles and other motorized equipment. Tests, inspects and evaluates vehicles and equipment for proper and safe operation upon completion of repairs. Submits completed work to supervisor or experienced mechanics for review and release.
The selected candidate must meet the advertised minimum qualifications to include State Entry Qualifications as well as Agency Specific Minimum Qualifications.
STATR ENTRY QUALIFICATIONS:
• Associate's/Vocational/Technical degree in area of assignment from an accredited college or university
• OR One year of experience in area of assignment.
• Note: Some positions may require specific licensure.
AGENCY MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
• One year experience in performing basic mechanical duties, such as engine tune-ups and brake repairs
• Demonstrate the ability to read, write and comprehend material essential to this position
• Working ability to understand and apply shop manual settings, diagrams, capacities, and instructions
• Working ability to understand and follow oral instructions to perform such function as tune ups, brake jobs, and exhaust system repairs with little or no supervision
• Ability to physically lift or assist in lifting such heavy equipment as brake drums, transmissions, and engine block
• Ability to perform repetitive tasks effectively over a long period of time
• Ability to bend lift, climb, stand, or walk for long periods of time
• Ability to exert oneself physically overtime
• Ability to perform moderately laboring work
• Committed to providing quality customer service.
AGENCY PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
• Commercial Driver's License
• Experience in automotive computer systems, anti-lock brakes, diagnosis of computer systems, and/or use of code readers and various scan tools.
• Working knowledge of the mechanics of internal combustion engines, transmissions, drive trains, brake systems, ignition systems, and/or electric wiring diagnostics and repair and how to utilize tools and equipment such as hydrometers, timing lights, feeler gauges, wrenches, sockets, ratchets, tire changers, dwell meters, vacuum gauges, brake cylinder hones, screw drivers, OHM meters, wheel balancers, grease guns, and/or battery chargers.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR ALL GDOT JOBS
The interview is just one part of the overall selection process and is not the only criteria used to make the final selection. In addition to the interview, the final selection is based on the applicant's work history and performance (documented in HR and/or Office files), PeopleSoft/employee status (i.e. rehire code), employee performance reviews, personnel file review (HR & Office Files), criminal background check, employment reference checks (including references and commendations from Managers and other relevant documentation) and, for supervisory positions, demonstrated leadership skills based on past and current work history will be considered.
Good Employment Standing:
In accordance with the Interview and Selection Process (ISP), an applicant must have no active disciplinary actions to be in good employment standing. Actions that may disqualify an applicant include letters of reprimand (active for 12 months after issuance date); suspension without pay or disciplinary demotion (active for 12 months from the effective date); Performance Improvement Plans (PIP) and Leave Restriction Plans (active until 12 months after the date of conclusion). In addition, an employee must have an overall ePerformance rating score of three (3) or higher on their most current evaluation. Please note that Memorandums of Concern are not considered disqualifying factors. Human Resources may remove any employee from consideration for selection who is pending a disciplinary action; however, if the action is resolved in the employee's favor, he or she will be allowed to compete.
THIS IS AN INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL JOB ANNOUNCEMENT
THIS IS AN UNCLASSIFIED POSITION.
THE SELECTED APPLICANT FOR THE POSITION WILL BE SUBJECT TO A REFERENCE CHECK AND CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK, WHERE APPLICABLE
PLEASE INCLUDE ALL RELEVANT JOB INFORMATION ON THE APPLICATION FOR CONSIDERATION.
ALL APPLICATIONS WILL BE PRESCREENED.
UPON PROMOTION, THE SELECTED CANDIDATE WILL RECEIVE 10% or THE GDOT JOB SPECIFIC MINIMUM SALARY, WHICHEVER IS GREATER.
GDOT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Associate's/Vocational/Technical degree in area of assignment from an accredited college or university OR One year of experience in area of assignment. Note: Some positions may require specific licensure.
The Georgia Department of Transportation (Georgia DOT) consists of approximately 4,300 employees under the leadership of Commissioner Keith Golden, P.E. Georgia DOT plans, constructs and maintains Georgia’s state and federal highways. We’re involved in bridge, waterway, public transit, rail, general aviation, bike and pedestrian programs. And we help local governments maintain their roads