Oregon Air National Guard
$76,951.00 to $100,039.00
Open & closing dates
$76,951 to $100,039 per year
Pay scale & grade
1 vacancy in the following location:
Elmendorf AFB, AK
Relocation expenses reimbursed
Relocation and/or recruitment incentives may be available, if eligible. Incentives are subject to funding availability. PCS is not authorized.
This job is open to
National Guard & Reserves
Current members, those who want to join, or transitioning military members.
U.S. citizens, nationals or those who owe allegiance to the U.S., and excepted service employees.
THIS IS A NATIONAL GUARD TITLE 5 EXCEPTED SERVICE POSITION.
This National Guard position is for a IT SPECIALIST (CUSTOMER SUPPORT), Position Description Number T5906000 and is part of the Alaska Air National Guard, National Guard.
The National Guard is the oldest component of the Armed Forces of the United States. Since the earliest American colonial days, citizens have joined together for collective defense. We have a proud tradition of coming to the aid of our friends and neighbors in times of serious emergencies. Join our National Guard team!
NATIONAL GUARD MEMBERSHIP REQUIREMENT: This is a T5 Excepted Service position and as such does not require active membership in the Alaska Army or Air National Guard.
Opened Area(s) of Consideration: 1, 2, 3, 4
DEFINITION OF AREA(S) OF CONSIDERATION:
Area 1 - All current on-board AKNG T5 Competitive or Excepted Service Employees.
Area 2 - All other current onboard AKNG T32 Excepted Service Employees.
Area 3- All current military members of the AKNG.
Area 4- All other current Federal Employees.
Selecting Supervisor: Barron McLain
Learn more about this agency
Manages the assigned IT/communications environment with privileged access at the network level for the Wing, Geographically Separated Units (GSU), and Tenants. Plans, coordinates, installs, and continuously analyzes system design, hardware and software. Develops, recommends, and installs solutions and upgrades to ensure availability, integrity, efficiency, and reliability of all components of the assigned system. Provides Information Assurance systems support for all disciplines, ensuring the rigorous application of information security/information assurance policies, principles, and practices in the delivery of network services. Performs system audits to assess security parameters and performance of IA controls within the network environment. Serves as a focal point for ensuring functionality and operability of the assigned IT/data systems/functions, voice and wireless systems to support mission requirements of Wing, Geographically Separated Units (GSU), and Tenants. Optimizes the functionality and performance of hardware and software systems and ensures availability, integrity, efficiency, and reliability of system/functional resources while managing the communications focal point coordination and workload distribution duties. Analyzes, manages, and directs installation of any new hardware or software introduced into the environment to ensure its compatibility with existing architecture, its reliability, and functionality in relation to the organization's business requirements. Runs tests to verify operability and functionality; analyzes hardware and software malfunctions to resolve physical and logical processing problems; and recommends acquisition of programs, process or equipment which will resolve operational problems. Provides on-going optimization and problem solving support; continually surveys system operation to identify potential systems problems which could lead to loss or serious interruption of service. Oversees and initiates corrective or preventative measures to rectify immediate problems and prevent future occurrences through the CFP. Troubleshoots and diagnoses system failures to isolate source of problems. Performs testing, troubleshoots, corrects problems, and distributes workload relative to interface and interoperability of system components such as hardware, systems software, and applications programs. Provides proactive consultation and instruction with system users and technical specialists to ensure seamless implementation of changes. Assesses and mitigates security vulnerabilities of installed system hardware and software. Provides customer technical assistance and support for all users. Provides ongoing technical support to customers to ensure proper functional use of equipment and programs and to preclude undue interruptions to IT and communications services. Works with customers to ensure efficient operations which support each units' requirements. Assists in solving problems associated with delivery of hardware and software orders. Provides management with information necessary to address difficult and complex problems in automating work processes. Tracks life of system equipment, prepares and provides analyses to determine future maintenance and replacement costs to help justify budget submissions. Reviews purchase requests and statements of work, ensuring documentation is sufficient to justify enhancements necessary to keep systems current and ensuring requested equipment and applications are compatible with existing infrastructure. Promotes use of assigned systems by providing instructions to functional area users on IT/communications processes and procedures associated with each supported system. Works with the CFP and customers to resolve integration or configuration related issues associated with a variety of different system platforms, operating systems, applications, and equipment configurations. Determines customer requirements and assists customers by recognizing and analyzing trends and providing instruction and orientation services. Identifies and documents system requirements for specific needs of customers. Conducts in-depth analyses of system usage, user complaints, traffic interruptions, hardware and software capabilities, and other relevant factors. Recommends methods and procedures and coordinates corrective action to optimize utilization of present equipment. Ensures upgrades to the base IT and communications infrastructure are identified and assists customers in developing and submitting recommendations for additional equipment and funds. Cooperates and works with unit personnel in planning and developing new or additional infrastructure/architecture capabilities. Identifies potential performance or capacity problems. Works with technical support personnel in resolving problems. Manages system user accounts, resets system passwords, and resolves firewall issues. Performs other duties as assigned.
Occasional travel - Training, TDY's, etc...
Job family (Series)
2210 Information Technology Management
Conditions of Employment
Federal employment suitability as determined by a background investigation.
May be required to successfully complete a probationary period.
U.S. citizenship is required.
This posn is subject to provisions of the DoD Priority Placement Program.
Bargaining Unit: Bargaining.
Must be registered for Selective Service, see Legal and Regulatory Guide.
May be required to obtain and maintain a satisfactory security clearance.
APPOINTMENT FACTORS: T5 Excepted Service appointment in the Alaska National Guard.
DESIRABLES: Hold current Security CE Certification
Specialized Experience - Must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-09 level. Experience in the IT field or through the performance of work where the primary concern is IT.
Education - Applicant must have a Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree or 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree from an accredited or pre-accredited institution in computer science, engineering,9408 information science, information systems management, mathematics, operations research, statistics, or technology management OR a degree that provided a minimum of 24 semester hours in one or more of the fields identified above and required the development or adaptation of applications, systems or networks.
NOTE: In order to be considered for this position using education as a basis of qualification, you must submit a copy of your official transcripts.
General Experience - Experience must be IT related; the experience may be demonstrated by paid or unpaid experience and/or completion of specific, intensive training (for example, IT certification), as appropriate. For all positions individuals must have IT-related experience demonstrating each of the four competencies listed below.
Attention to Detail - Is thorough when performing work and conscientious about attending to detail.
Customer Service - Works with clients and customers (that is, any individuals who use or receive the services or products that your work unit produces, including the general public, individuals who work in the agency, other agencies, or organizations outside the Government) to assess their needs, provide information or assistance, resolve their problems, or satisfy their expectations; knows about available products and services; is committed to providing quality products and services.
Oral Communication - Expresses information (for example, ideas or facts) to individuals or groups effectively, taking into account the audience and nature of the information (for example, technical, sensitive, controversial); makes clear and convincing oral presentations; listens to others, attends to nonverbal cues, and responds appropriately.
Problem Solving - Identifies problems; determines accuracy and relevance of information; uses sound judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives, and to make recommendations.
Length of time is not of itself qualifying. Your experience will be evaluated on the basis of duties performed. Your record of experience, training, and education must show possession of the following knowledge, skills and abilities needed to fully perform the duties of the position:
- Knowledge of applying analysis concepts to IT network systems and independent IT platforms, integration methods, performance tuning methods, test and evaluation methods and procedures, IT security principles and methods plus, project management principles and methods sufficient to plan and coordinate the installation of new products or equipment.
- Ability to analyze, apply methods and practices for recovering, adjusting and modifying IT systems to solve complex problems, while improving customer support practices, that minimizes interruptions in service.
- Knowledge of network operations, security methods, and network architecture optimization techniques; the capabilities and limitations of the IT systems, infrastructure and software configuration in order to manage the tenant network, carry out network and/or independent platform projects and coordinate efforts with others affected in the organization.
- Knowledge of systems development, modification, testing, installation, operations, and support concepts as well as the organization's network and infrastructure architecture and protocols to provide support related to: test, evaluation, installation, configuration and modification of hardware and software for operating systems, network platform, and interface connectivity. Provision of network services and planning for increased or changed requirements; modifications and integration of network systems and infrastructure consistent with existing or planned infrastructure/architecture; configuration management changes and upgrades; and connectivity between remote sites.
- Knowledge of the interrelationship of multiple IT systems, utilizing methods, principles, and practices covering restoral from complex computer and infrastructure system failures, recovery of systems, adjusting, modifying, and improving systems to include hardware and software components.
- Knowledge of methods and practices involved in the integration of system components sufficient to optimize system performance.
- Knowledge of performance measurement tools, systems testing and diagnostics, COTS products, Internet technologies, analytical methods and practices, requirements analysis techniques in order to: test and optimize the functionality of the systems, networks, and data; provide advice on a wide range of IT issues; ensure optimal use of commercially available products; represent the organization in interactions with other organizations; prepare and present reports; conduct analyses and recommend resolution of difficult issues; identify and define business requirements applied to the development, implementation management and support of systems and networks; etc.
- Knowledge of IT security principles and products; DOD and agency policies, procedures, regulations, directives, and requirements related to physical, personnel, emanations, and information security; methods for evaluating risk or vulnerability; IT INFOSEC security requirements for certification and accreditation; network operations and protocols; systems testing and evaluation, and performance management methods sufficient to plan and conduct security accreditation reviews for installed systems or networks and assess and advise on new or revised security measures and countermeasures based on the results of accreditation reviews.
- Knowledge of the mission, objectives, terminology, and management practices Wing and tenant organizations to recognize probable areas of interaction and overlap between proposed and existing systems, system modifications and upgrades.
- Ability to gather facts and use effective analytical and evaluative methods to assess information, plan the sequence of actions necessary, make sound decisions, and solve a variety of complex IT device and infrastructure problems.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing and maintain effective relationships.
- Ability to modify existing systems and relate all aspects of the work to overall system requirements, advise on and implement new technology, and offer alternative approaches in operating systems development and/or problem resolution.
- Knowledge of operational and performance characteristics of data/voice transport to define, coordinate, plan, and satisfy user requirements for equipment, systems, or services, and to review, develop, or interpret communications policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of DoD, Air Force, NGB, and ANG communications regulations, services, and instructions to ensure telecommunications services are in compliance with applicable regulations and instructions.
- Knowledge of operational and performance characteristics of systems to develop procedures/policies/practices to ensure customer requirements are met.
- Knowledge of commonly used practices, guides, and a broad range of operating techniques concerning both standard and unique IT systems design installation and concept of operations.
- Ability to review, analyze, and resolve difficult and complex technical problems involving systems compatibility, both installation-wide and external interoperability, circuits, switches, distribution, satellite linkages, and networking.
This job does not have an education qualification requirement.
- If you are a current Federal employee or former Federal employee, you must submit a copy of your latest SF-50 Notification of Personnel Action and/or a copy of the SF-50. You may submit your most recent performance appraisal.
- If you are a male applicant who was born after 12/31/59 and are required to register under the Military Selective Service Act, the Defense Authorization Act of 1986 requires that you be registered or you are not eligible for appointment in this agency.
- Cost of Living Allowance (COLA): Entitled to 3.74% COLA in addition to base salary, subject to change.
- Direct Deposit Program: If selected for technician position with the Alaska National Guard, you will be required to participate in the Direct Deposit Program. (Salary will be automatically deposited to bank/credit union account).
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Category Rating: Your application will be evaluated and rated under Category Rating selection procedures. Once the application process is complete, a review of your qualifications will be conducted to determine if you are qualified for this job. Qualified candidates will be assigned to a quality category. The quality categories are:
1. Highly Qualified: Candidates in this category possess exceptional skills and experience to exceed well above the minimum requirements for this position.
2. Well Qualified: Candidates in this category possess good skills and experience above the minimum requirements for this position.
3. Qualified: Candidates in this category meet the minimum education and/or experience requirements for this position.
Once the application process is complete, a review of your application/resume will be made to determine your Area of Consideration (AOC) and to ensure you meet the basic eligibility and minimum job requirements. Your initial rating will be based on your responses to the questionnaire in this document. This process measures the degree to which your background matches the knowledge, skills and abilities required for this position. Your final rating will be based on our evaluation of your responses, as verified through a review of your resume and other supporting documents. If, after reviewing your resume and or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, your score can and will be adjusted to more accurately reflect your abilities. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility and rating.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
Customer Service, Cybersecurity, Data and Content Management, Information Technology Life Cycle Management, and Infrastructure Design~
Background checks and security clearance
To apply for this position, you must submit a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Your resume showing work schedule, hours worked per week, dates of employment and duties performed.
3. Security Certification
4. Transcripts, if applicable.
5. Any additional documentation you wish to submit for consideration.
Your resume, curriculum vitae, the Optional Application for Federal Employment (OF 612), or any other written format you choose to describe your job-related qualifications can be submitted electronically using the document upload process, fax, mail or by hand-deliver. Please be sure to include all of the following information in your resume:
- Vacancy Identification Number, title, grade and location for which you are applying.
- Full name, mailing address (with zip code) and day/evening telephone numbers (with area code).
- Country of Citizenship.
- If ever employed by the Federal Government, please show the highest Federal civilian grade held, job series, and dates of employment in grade.
- High School name, city, state and zip code, date of diploma or GED.
- Colleges and/or Universities attended, city, state and zip code.
- Major field(s) of study.
- Type and year of degree(s) received. If no degree received, show total credit hours received in semester or quarter hours.
Work Experience for each paid or non-paid position held related to the job for which you are applying (do not provide copies of job descriptions):
- Job title.
- Duties and accomplishments.
- Number of hours per week.
- Employer's name and address.
- Supervisor's name and phone number.
- Indicate if your current supervisor may be contacted.
- Starting and ending dates of employment (month and year).
- Job-related training courses (title and year).
- Job-related skills (e.g., other languages, computer software/hardware, tools, machinery, typing speed, etc.)
- Job related certificates and licenses.
- Job-related honors, awards, and special accomplishments. (e.g., publications, memberships in professional or honor societies, leadership activities, public speaking, performance awards, etc.)
Do not send copies of documents unless specifically requested.
Review our benefits
How to Apply
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the online application/Occupational Questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below. To view the Occupational Questionnaire, click the following link: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10138528
A complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on the closing date of the announcement to receive consideration.
To begin, click Apply to access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one before beginning the application.
Follow the prompts to select your resume and/or other supporting documents to be included with your application package. You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is submitted. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
After acknowledging you have reviewed your application package, complete the Include Personal Information section as you deem appropriate and click to continue with the application process.
You will be taken to the online application which you must complete in order to apply for the position. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation is included with your application package, and submit the application.
To verify the status of your application, log into your USAJOBS account ( https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login
), all of your applications will appear on the Welcome screen. The Application Status will appear along with the date your application was last updated. For information on what each Application Status means, visit: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/how-to/application/status/
Agency contact information
Alaska Air National Guard
P.O Box 5800
Learn more about this agency
Once your online application is submitted you will receive a confirmation notification by email. Your application will be evaluated by the Human Resources Office to determine your eligibility for the position. After the evaluation is complete, you will receive another notification regarding the status of your application. Referral to the hiring official will be IAW our agency Merit Promotion Plan and current Labor agreement. Qualified applicants may be further evaluated by a ranking panel. Referred candidates will be further evaluated and interviewed by a selection panel.
Fair & Transparent
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & job applicants
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when: An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations
or how to contact an agency.
Legal and regulatory guidance
Social security number request
Signature and false statements
New employee probationary period
Note: We cannot accept applications on behalf of Federal Agencies. Application instructions are listed within the Job Description.
Oregon Air National Guard
Website : http://www.orport.ang.af.mil/