Seattle City Light, a department of the **MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***. is one of the nation's largest municipally owned utilities in terms of the number of customers served. Over the years we have worked very hard to keep Seattle's electricity affordable, reliable, and environmentally sound. Today, City Light is a recognized national leader in energy efficiency and environmental stewardship.
Seattle City Light's Financial Planning and Rates Unit is seeking a Principal Analyst to lead the development of the utility's short and long-range financial plans. As Principal Analyst, you will oversee City Light's financial forecast and conduct analysis to support strategic decision making. This position will report to the Financial Planning Manager.
Seattle City Light's Financial Planning Unit is responsible for City Light's short- and long-term financial forecast, customer consumption forecast, rate-setting and debt issuance functions. The Principal Analyst responsibilities may include: Lead the financial forecasting process, providing technical expertise and coordination. Supervise and/or conduct research and analysis to support policy development, funding decisions, and rate setting. Use statistical analysis and data mining techniques to analyze financial and electric commodity data. Develop, design, manage, and use various complex statistical models. Prepare, edit and present documents and presentations describing the results of studies and analysis directly for upper management and other key stakeholders. Coordinate research and analytic efforts with other business units or agencies.
Master's Degree in Economics, Finance, Business Administration, or other field involving extensive course work in economic and financial theory and analysis. (Graduate study may be replaced by four years of related professional experience. Other combinations of education and experience will be evaluated on an individual basis for comparability.)
Minimum of five years professional experience in statistical and/or economic research and analysis.
- Ability to conduct research, analysis, and interpretations of economic and financial data and issues, both independently and in collaborative or technical supervisory roles.
- Extensive experience with building statistical/econometric models and forecasting applications on various platforms. Proficiency with statistical tools and applications, and ability to supervise and mentor others in these areas. Advanced-level expertise in Excel, including proficiency with macros, VBA and Crystal Ball/@Risk or other Monte Carlo software. Expertise with statistical software such as SAS, EViews or R. Demonstrated ability to learn new software
- Ability to exercise judgment in selecting appropriate analytical methods and tools for each assignment and in the development and use of economic models. Comfortable summarizing analytical outcomes and translating into tables, charts, alternatives or recommendations.
- Knowledge of financial and economic analysis techniques, micro-and macro-economic theory and methodology, statistical theory and methods, and econometrics acquired through advanced education and hands-on application in a real-world setting.
- Excellent communication skills and demonstrated ability to clearly explain complex economic concepts and outcomes to a wide audience, both orally and in writing. Proficiency in MS Word and Powerpoint.
- Knowledge of the electric utility industry: Western energy markets and ancillaries, power generation and distribution, retail electric billing, etc.
- Familiarity with rate-making and financial planning concepts, especially in a utility setting.
- Experience with the development and use of financial planning models (e.g., UIPlanner).
Job offers are contingent on the verification of credentials and other information required by the employment process including the completion of a background check which includes criminal history and driving history review.
Want to know more about Seattle City Light? Check out our web page: ****The City of Seattle offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents.
More information about employee benefits is available on the City's website at: ****01
Please select the option that best describes your highest level of education.
High School Diploma/GED
Do you have previous work experience in the electric utility industry?
Please describe your experience with the development and use of financial planning models (e.g., UIPlanner).
Please explain how you meet the required qualifications for this position.
City of Seattle
Seattle Municipal Tower
700 5th Avenue, Suite 5500
Seattle, Washington, 98104
Your browser does not support the IFRAME feature, which is required by this web page.